View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 10:43 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I'm surprised about your comment about the recoil... I actually find my M1917 is the heaviest recoilling handgun I own. Now granted I don't have any magnums or sunnies but I find those smooth grips allow it to slide a little in my hand. My 1911s or New Service in .455 (granted a less powerful round) kick noticeably less.
The hardest kicking revolver I've ever owned/fired was (believe it or not) a S&W Model 586 with the 6" barrel. I actually cut one of my fingers while firing magnums through it one time. Don't get me wrong there was recoil, but it didn't seem all that bad - perhaps because I was shooting Blazer through it?

Now what was funny was after I finished playing with the Colt I went ahead and qualified with my Glock 19. I shot forty rounds of Federal 9mm 124 grain +P HST hollow-points through it and after the Colt it felt like I was shooting a 22 LR pistol and those +P HST loads have some zing to them (approximately 1200 fps out of a 4" barrel). I shot a Possible score (in other words I maxed it) which I haven't done in a few years. I think I discovered a secret. Warm up with a large caliber revolver and then go ahead and shoot the small caliber pistol. Makes things much easier.