Thread: Someone to Talk
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 05:00 AM

If 100 yards is what you'd consider long range, then just about any quality built carbine with a magnified optic will do just fine. Most carbines will be short enough for CQB purposes and accurate enough to deliver precision shots at 100 yards (and probably a bit further than that).

Before anyone recommends a build, AR building culture has been a thing for a long time, but the modern, or should I say postmodern, build explosion with all the cool free float rails and lightweight barrel profiles and different gas systems didn't become totally mainstream until I'd say about 2009-2010 which is a little bit after when your story is set. I think your character would be better suited to using something pre-built, especially if he's more of a military man who got an issued weapon and smiled than a gun guy who would strip a pre built rifle into all of its components and build 5 different guns from the guts.

That being said, I've never been a fan of zebra calibers like 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC because they are/were boutique rounds that offer slight performance upgrades above standard 5.56 without compatibility or service history. They are dare to be different rounds that don't offer enough to warrant the loss of the benefits of 5.56. They are basically what .40 S&W would be compared to 9mm if it was never adopted by the FBI, or what .357 SIG is compared to 9mm now.

Honestly, and this is a little boring, but I would recommend giving him something similar to a rifle he would have used in service. An M4 SOPMOD style rifle (or Colt 6920 SOCOM, or the vanilla version with some kind of quad rail) with an ACOG or an EOTech and a 3X magnifier is probably best for a true .mil character.