View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
As you know I'm a revolver nut. Seven/six years ago the second hand market was awash in nice used revolvers. I think the economy had a lot to do with it. I especially found 38 Special revolvers to be in excellent shape and reasonably priced. But in the past few years the economy has improved and there seems to be an ever growing interest in revolvers. It's my opinion that it's a combination of the attention that revolvers are receiving on the Internet (from guys like me), the popularity of historical crime dramas such as "Boardwalk Empire" and "Peaky Blinders" and the effect of laws in states like New York which makes it (relatively) easier to own revolvers. I'm still buying revolvers, but I've slowed down and they're harder to find. I'm also spending more of my "disposable" funds on books and movies. Similar situation to yours. I spend $50 on a great book like "U.S. Handguns of World War II" by Charles Pate and it is with me for years. I spend $50.00 on ammo and it's gone in twenty minutes as well - if not sooner.
I've been out of the industry for a few years now but 3 years ago at least I found old .38s were definitely not getting any love - I'd hardly ever even sell the ammo and when I did it was usually to guys with .357s. They're just not that common up here thanks to our weird barrel length laws but they do seem to be selling for a little bit more when I see them - although still way less than I'd think the quality should command. Honestly stuff like Boardwalk Empire and Peaky Blinders was what got me into them, except I was a little ahead of the curve so it was the 90s Untouchables series and Millers Crossing.

In other news my M28 showed up in the mail yesterday and is in pretty nice shape. The real interesting thing is because the Civil Guard used issue numbers as well as serial numbers, I was able to trace that it was issued in Viipuri district, which was where the Soviet invasion in 1939 was centered. So this rifle was almost certainly on the Mannerheim Line! If you've ever seen Talvisota, and if you haven't you should, that was the battle.

Last edited by Nyles; 09-20-2017 at 07:06 PM.