View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 03:13 PM

Default Mocking the assault weapons ban through video games?

A long time ago, I saw an advertisement for a computer graphics card saying "Don't hold your games back," with a picture of a blonde female elf from the first Everquest game (from 1999) frequently featured in that game's promotional art holding a magical staff that had clearly fizzled and was smoking. I then thought of the possible assault weapons ban and was wondering if anyone has tried to draw attention to the ban by modelling its effects in video games (in essence holding the ingame characters back in a similar way).

I've been playing Left 4 Dead 2 recently and was imagining just how difficult a "civilians defending themselves from hordes of zombies" game would be if all ingame characters had to use assault-weapons-ban-legal weapons. It'd be pretty difficult in that game (and many others like it) if players were forced to defend themselves against the unending zombie hordes with 10-round-capacity handguns, 10-round capacity rifles, and 4-round-capacity shotguns, with no option for fully-automatic or burst-fire modes. (In fact, aren't high-capacity firearms with "tacticool" accessories and styling often marketed with references to future zombie apocalypses as a way to indicate their suitability for taking down many targets in a short time, as would be the case in a hypothetical zombie apocalypse?)

I know it's fairly easy to change the ingame capacities of guns in games, but I haven't seen anyone yet do it with the express purpose of mocking the potential new assault weapons ban. It could be a challenge for those games and a way of mocking what many people don't consider very funny.