View Single Post
Old 09-27-2016, 10:06 PM
IMFDB Admin

I once had to fire an L9A1 mortar (British 51mm patrol mortar that is hand held rather than using a bipod) in an odd situation where I basically ended up pinching the thing between my knees to steady it. Unfortunately I was on a concrete roof so the base plate had nothing to dig into so the tube slid back and hit me straight in the bollocks.

I had a close call call once shooting a 12 gauge O/U shotgun. I was thinking about buying a shotgun from somebody and they were letting me use it for a clays shoot. He handed me the gun, I loaded a couple of shells, closed the action, but then something clicked in my brain before I called pull. Something obviously hadn't looked right, and when I opened it up it turned out that there was a 20 gauge shell stuck a few inches down BOTH barrels. The guy claimed that he didn't even own a 20 gauge let alone any 20 ammo so I have no idea how it got there (he was a bit sketchy though so either he was a moron talking bs or somebody was deliberately trying to blow up his gun). I ended up buying the gun anyway, I shoot pretty well with it.

I have also had a double chain fire (as in the chamber each side of the one behind the barrel) on a repro 1851 Navy. They were only light loads and the gun was surprisingly fine, but I still ended up with a few cuts on my hand from the lead fragments as the balls pinged off the frame. It was totally my fault though, I was using really shitty caps that I could tell didn't really fit right.

On the topic of the original post, I have only ever fired 5 or 6 round from a Desert Eagle, but in that had two double feeds, one of which sounds almsot like what you described (the edge of the empty case cut into the front of the next bullet rather than actually sliding in). The owner said that this was quite common with Desert Eagles (or at least his), something to do with the ejection pattern bouncing the cases off of the slide back into the totally open-topped chamber. I think there is also a fix for it, getting stronger springs or something like that.