View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 02:56 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

You'd need to get different pants for an IWB holster. Even with a slim gun, adding the holster will out extra push into the pants and might not work or be comfortable, so you'd need to get a pants size larger and a good belt as well.

If you have some kind of injury, even pocket carry might be a problem depending on speed because if you've practiced, even reaching into a pocket for your gun will send your body into that flight or fight mode and you can tense up and if you have some kind of old hurt, it will hurt. So it's best to work with your injury because if you need to fight, it will add to your hurt.

Until your back gets better, I'd say avoid making decisions based on your current situation unless your back hurting is going to be a life time of hurt that can't be fixed. In that case, I'd still recommend training with the injury in mind.

Again, pick a gun that you can be comfortable carrying, be it a compact/subcompact or pocket gun. Also make sure you can SHOOT the gun and be able to aim well. A lot of people pick little bitty pocket guns that have poor sights or so small, it can feel like the damn thing is going to fly off your hand. I've shot a lot of little .380s like the LCP, and the S&W Bodyguard .380 and they can feel tiny but shoot like a cannon.

Personally, I don't like .40 but I don't want to state "that debate" here.

I highly recommend for a "fighting gun" to be either a subcompact to a mid size compact like a Glock 19 instead of a pocket gun that's really meant as a backup gun. I've seen people carry full size guns and still hide them well. Some argue on whether or not you "need" all that ammo or a big gun but it's your preference.

Again, my personal preference is that for a first time CCW shouldn't use revolvers because I believe the discipline and training behind a revolver is different compared to an auto and also easier reloads for newer shooters than with a revolver.

But most importantly is to get training. I'm saving up money and time to attend some of the classes I've been watching that does more realistic CCW training than just standing still hitting paper.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Last edited by Excalibur; 07-15-2015 at 02:59 AM.