View Single Post
Old 07-17-2016, 10:28 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Awesome Bolo! I actually like the grips, they look period at least! I'd love to get a Bolo but they're just under the barrel length limit up here. I replaced the recoil spring on my C96 with one from Wolff. I'd recommend it.
Wish I knew where it had been . The only proof marks on it are from the Mauser factory. There are no Chinese markings either. There is no pitting so it's been in a dry climate and taken care of. Under the barrel is the stamp from Century Arms, the caliber and Spain. So I am assuming that the Bolo was imported by Century Arms from Spain. A friend of mine who has been in the gun retail business since the early seventies speculated that it was a private purchase in the 1920's and somehow worked it's way to Spain. I ,of course, immediately had images of an American volunteer in the Abraham Lincoln Brigade fighting for the Republicans during the Spanish Civil War. The Bolo carried along his side. It could work. The U.S. doesn't have a proof house. So a Bolo with no proofs....could be.

Anyway it's one of my grail guns. Since I was just ten years old and watched an old Michael York movie called "Zeppelin" (1971) in which the Germans attempt to steal the Magna Carta during WWI. Several of the Germans in the raiding party carry Broomhandles. It was love at first sight for me. It's only taken me thirty-eight years to finally get one, but it's in my safe now. The fact that it is a Bolo is gravy for me. For some reason the Bolo has always appealed to me the most.

I've got some 30 Mauser on order from Midway. It's Prvi Partizan which I have found to be good quality ammo. I won't be firing Tokorav ammo in it. In a month or two I'll be ordering springs from Wolff.

Last edited by Jcordell; 07-17-2016 at 10:31 PM.