Thread: Decocking
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 07:52 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I heard from watching Magpul Dynamics Art of the Handgun when Chris and Travis was discussing handguns with a decocker, it's best not to ride the hammer down when there is a bullet chambered because the weapon is primed to fire and the potential to set it off is still present. A decocker is there as it is. Why ride the hammer back needlessly when you can press a button and you're done.

In the movie Street King, Keanu decocks his pistol with the decocker. I think it's the only movie showing that. The way the actor handled the part made it seemed like the job was done and so a click of the decocker, and holster made the scene seem over and the action is done. If he had ride the hammer back slowly, then it would drag on the scene. What also works for that scene would have if he flicked the safety and holster. Same effect,

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”