View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 08:26 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
(Russian ones are virtually nonexistant, and I'll buy a baseball bat before a Chinese variant).
Actually, the pre-1989 Chinese Norinco and Poly Tech AKs were way superior to just about any other semi-auto AK available in the U.S., especially the crap that's available today. The MAK-90s were of lesser quality (mostly because they were partially assembled in the U.S.), but even they were still better than most of the Romanian SARs and other such shit clones.

Trust me (as somebody who actually owns a Poly Tech AK) - Chinese pre-ban AKs were some of the very best you could buy in the States. The Chinese stereotype about "cheap, mass-produced, low-quality" doesn't apply to their AKs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I know how much a full auto M16 costs roughly, and I was just trying to figure out if it was cheaper to get an AR-15 and convert it rather than buying a full auto rifle from the start.
It would be cheaper if you did the conversion work yourself. But if you can pay for the sear (which costs $10,000 and up), then you're already going to be taking out a second mortgage anyway, so why not just buy the whole deal?