View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Ok, since when do we allow pages or the BFG? I mean, it's ok for guns that were dressed up to look futuristic, but the BFG getting it's own page and when I tried to delete the alien weapon on District 9, some guy tells me that it's allowed as long as it's part of the plot. What kind of crap is that? I know we got grenades, mines and RPGs, but those are real life weapons, not alien sci fi guns.
The BFG is an exception because it's been in a movie where it at least resembled a real gun, is mentioned in two other movies, because I can off-hand name at least one real weapon that namechecks it [Magnum Research's BFR, I don't think anyone honestly believes the 'F' stands for 'finest,' least of all them], and name eighteen videogames that either feature it as-is, namecheck it or copy the mechanics to some extent. It's one of the most well-known and noteworthy fictional guns in existence, far more so than, say, Eraser's railgun which has also only ever been a prop.

Besides, since when is 'since at least December last year.'

I think the reasoning behind including the 'mysterious alien weapon' in District 9 is that like the non-guns in Alien Resurrection, it looks like it might be built on top of something real [according to eBay, it's called an Arc Gun and isn't real: "the prop is made from cc60 urethane and high density foam HDR 400, with a mild steel internal armature"]. I don't think 'plays a role in the plot' is really enough, IIRC the version I heard was 'if it could potentially be confused with a real gun, it should be included.' Grounds for getting its own page are a little tighter, but if any fictional weapon qualifies the BFG should.

Last edited by Vangelis; 08-17-2009 at 05:12 AM.