View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 07:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I thought about writing a short-story or novel about a vigilante back when I was in college. My roommate had been mugged while stumbling home from a frat party while drunk, and it got the wheels turning. I figured there'd a conflict between the idealistic students who saw a vigilante as a dangerous rogue and the townies who thought that while he was a dangerous rogue, he was ultimately keeping the streets safe.

He'd be a student, living in North Campus in Ann Arbor, MI. No mask, just a hoodie, a cheap coat, possibly from good will, easily disposable. Cheap .22 pistol, a Saturday night special like a Lorcin or a Raven arms 22 that can be tossed away without regret. Homemade suppressor built in a machine shop (North Campus is home to the engineering, architecture and art schools at UM.) Remington hollow-point subsonic .22 ammo, available at any sporting goods store. A S&W SWAT knife as backup and for silent kills. Pepper spray to deal with those who are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. (Although today, I would think a stun gun, or a taser.) Latex gloves, which would be disposed of daily into the dumpsters of the UM Medical Center (conveniently located between North Campus and Central Campus.) A hollowed out laptop from Property Dispo to hide the weapons and ammo in. (Property Dispo is where UM got rid of old equipment, from computers to furniture. You can get a six year old laptop for $50.) So basically, it'd be Without Remorse set in a college town, but instead of revenge as the motive, it'd just be a student who decides to vent his anger and frustrations out on local low-lifes.