Thread: Upcoming Tag
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'm the one that brought it up, so I think I should explain my side. The theatrical release date really has no meaning to us in the context of completing the page. The only one that really counts for us is the home video release date: the date from which screencaps can be legally obtained. (As outlined in the rules.) The upcoming tag also serves as a disclaimer, reminding users that any caps that are already present on the page come from only trailers or otherwise legal sources. ("Any screenshots used are from official Trailers and sources.") This would be especially important on pages like "The Avengers" that receive high traffic.

I don't think slapping on an incomplete tag upon theatrical release would be accurate. The page will be stuck in limbo for months, unable to be finished in the time between theatrical and home release dates. At least the present tag explain that. (The Ongoing tag serves a similar function for TV shows)

I do agree with Ben that "unreleased" isn't really the best term. Maybe a new template should be made up. A "Not yet available" tag?