View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
How is that too generic? How is the reader being cheated out of information? That would only be the case if the reader was confused if the character used multiple guns at the end, but by this time, it is assumed that we have educated the reader as far as recognizing the firearm.

Not everyone has seen a movie before looking at a page. I am (unfortunately) AVOIDING some pages that Gunmaster45 has worked hard on, and have not been able to comment on them (despite his request for input) because I have NOT seen the movie yet. I will see them soon and hopefully not keep him waiting forever Also people, like me for example, are sometimes encouraged to see a movie we would otherwise not see if we see that the film has a slew of interesting firearms.

Anyway, that's just IMHO.
True, although I think this isn't too likely with most readers. Personally, I'm not in the habit of looking at pages before I've seen the movie, but then again, I've seen so many movies featuring guns in my (short) lifetime that it's rare I find one on here I haven't seen.

But again, don't forget that the images can still ruin surprises for a reader. I really think we just have to accept that by nature of what we do, we're gonna ruin surprises for people who haven't seen movies. So it seems pointless to go to such ridiculous lengths to avoid spoilers.

Oh, yeah, and here's another one: Have you seen a "A History of Violence"? There's a gun in that movie that is used by a particular character. The fact that I even mentioned this character, and the gun he uses, is another spoiler. Telling readers that he's even in the movie ruins a surprise.