View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I think none of us considered ourselves "academics" of guns. I really think we should all be affectionately called gun nuts. Even calling ourselves "gun aficionados" sounds kinda pretentious.
I meant "academic" as though the wiki were an academic resource for guns in motion media, a "Jane's recognition guide to" kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
And really the Metal Gear Solid series is a lot of faux military fantasies abound and should never be taken seriously. The holding a knife with your handgun sounds cool but not really fun in practice and doing it while holding a long arm is even stupider like in MGS4.
I just meant to say that if we can complain about an actor's poor attempt at a Harries technique, then we can question what appears to be an attempt to turn a Harries technique with a knife instead of a flashlight into a viable fighting stance. Getting a screenshot of that particular ingame cutscene could take some doing, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
When I here the terms academics used with guns, I think of gentlemen like Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor.
Don't those guys normally focus on firearms technique rather than things like recognizing them in motion media and critiquing the plausibility of their appearances and use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
"Ma'am, where with the IMFDB" sounds cool to me because it could almost be something said in a Larry Corriea novel. Whom I'm binge reading at present.
I'll believe that phrase is cool when it gets the non-armory-affiliated members among us passes into SHOT show or the like.