Thread: Uh oh
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 06:33 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
You seem to assume North Korea would stay a separate state, I think the south would annex and reunify the korean peninsula.
You're again forgetting the big problem: Economic integration. When you annex an extremely poor country with 25 million people who have been living in ignorance for generations, it's a huge economic drain. South Korea's economy isn't strong enough to withstand a sudden influx of millions of unskilled, illiterate peasants. It would much tougher than Germany being re-unified, for example (and East Germany, while stunted by communism, wasn't nearly as poor as North Korea is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
China should just annex north korea, the chinese abuse human rights but not nearly as much, its like the lesser of two evils, besides, the commies killing each other off in a war is win win for us.
I told you earlier than Chinese and Koreans hate each other. There would be civil war if that happened. And it would be a drain on China's own economy to boot. It wouldn't be a win-win for us, either, because China holds most of our debt.

Also, I think I've said this already, but the PRC and DPRK regimes are hardly communist at this point (fascist/ultra-nationalist would be a better description).

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
To be honest, if China would tighten it's leash on North Korea, North Korea wouldn't be such of a problem
The Chinese do try to keep the North Koreans from getting too crazy (because they, more than anyone else, would stand to lose big from a war in the region), but it's not easy for them.

Last edited by MT2008; 11-23-2010 at 07:41 PM.