View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 08:26 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
I'm still not sure how this is supposed to adversely affect our reputation; the handful of f-bombs on this wiki have in some cases been here for years without causing the End of All Things at any point along the line. I don't think we should change a policy that worked (quoting accurately) because of a puritanical vandal whose other edits are about 80% garbage and who doesn't know the difference between a clip and a magazine.
I think the issue is that, because people in the industry have likely heard word of this site or been recommended it, it's a negative thing for them to come across this site and see it's filled with language. It could be viewed as unprofessional, and hurt our reputation and the reputation of those who recommended the site.

Do I agree with the censorship? No. But I understand the concept that even if I don't believe in censorship, I won't keep a job at a respectable business very long if I tell my boss my favorite version of "The Aristocrats" joke. Not everyone has the same outlook on things. Some people see curse words as words, some see them as super offensive and immature forms of expression. Sometimes, you have to bite the bullet to make some sort of compromise.

As MPM said, this site is not our personal playground, and if a majority see it fit to censor profanity to maintain our positive image and professionalism, we should act accordingly and solve the issue.