View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
Well to be fair, adjusted for inflation a copy of Turok 1 when it came out would cost something like 120 dollars.

The argument they put forward is they make no money on resales, which is stupid because neither does any other company that makes any other consumer product in the entire world. It seems to be based on the assumption that everyone who'd buy a second hand copy would be willing to pay full price if they didn't have the option of getting it second hand, when often people only buy second hand because it's cheap. It's like that thing they do where they imagine everyone who pirated a game would have bought it.

I think it's mostly because of games most people are fed up of within a week like the copies of Medal of Honor that are still knocking around in bargain bins the world over. They're also basically trying to kill the rental market so you have to buy a game to figure out it's turgid garbage.
If I may play devil's advocate, downloadable demos can take the place of rentals in the try before you buy scenario.

But yeah, if they want to keep prices up, control distribution a bit better and make a good game.

I'm perfectly okay with the currently system of buying online licenses. If they wanted to double the price of online licenses, I'd be fine with it, because online play are the meat and potatoes of most games now. (On the flip side, if I pay for the right to play online, then that means every time the servers for an old game are decommissioned, they're stealing from ME.)