View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 04:06 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I remember the director Troy Duffy on DVD commentary saying the first film got released when all the school shootings happened. So it didn't get much of release and moviegoers were not in a gun movie mood. Waiting 10 years is better than no sequel at all.
That's mostly just an excuse by Duffy. If you ever watch the documentary "Overnight", it sheds light on many of the real reasons why the first film never got a big theatrical release. A lot of it was due to Duffy's own reputation in the biz. If school shootings were the reason that "The Boondock Saints" bombed, then "The Matrix" should have bombed, too, because it came out at the exact same time as Columbine. Keanu Reeves even sports a trench coat and sunglasses on the movie's theatrical poster, just like the Columbine killers did in real life, yet nobody seemed to mind.

I guess 10 years is better than no sequel, but the problem is that those 10 years haven't been too kind to Sean Patrick Flannery or Billy Connelly (both of them have aged a LOT). Norman Reedus still looks pretty young and fit for 40, but I also thought he was the weaker actor of the two brothers. As for the new blood in the cast, Clifton Collins and Julie Benz are talented, but I doubt they're going to be able to substitute for David Della Rocco and Willem Dafoe (whom their characters replace).

I'll probably see this movie, because I watched and enjoyed the first film dozens of times in spite of its (obvious) artistic and moral shortcomings. But my expectations are low that Duffy's magic tricks are going to be effective twice.

Last edited by MT2008; 09-03-2009 at 04:13 PM.