View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 AM

I wrote this guide originally as a response to users like the one who incorrectly moved the Cobray M11/9 to the submachine gun section of the Max Payne (video game) page, which I provided the vast majority of screenshots for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Really I don't think That you can really distinguish between Machine Pistols and Submachine guns.
The way I see it is that a Machine Pistol is a subcategory of submachineguns.
To put it bluntly:

All Machine Pistols are submachine guns...But not all submachineguns are Machine Pistols
As I outlined above, the crux of difference between a machine pistol and an SMG is their ergonomics, though their select-fire/fully-automatic fire capabilities and caliber types are the same. A Machine Pistol has the ergonomics of a handgun or not all the ergonomics of a rifle, an SMG has (or should have) all the ergonomics of a rifle. And weren't SMGs invented and used before Machine Pistols were?

Currently, the wiki doesn't lump the Machine Pistol and Submachine Gun categories together, so I wrote this guide to be posted on the SMG and Machine Pistol category talk pages to let users immediately tell the difference and categorize the firearms within correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Pistol caliber carbines are usually somewhere around rifle-sized. Most (but not all) that I can think of are semi-automatic as well.
That's the funny thing. Pistol-caliber carbines have the carbine designation because their barrels are longer than standard full-sized pistols (normally above six inches, since six inches is the maximum "practical" pistol barrel length). In all but this case the term "carbine" refers to a firearm with a shorter barrel than a standard full-sized firearm of that caliber (battle rifle, assault rifle, etc.). This exception should be more widely known amongst the wiki's users.

Last edited by Mazryonh; 03-04-2012 at 08:23 AM.