View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I only made the Ran page because you created the Tanegashima page with its red link.
My thanks once again. But I put Ran there because it was the only movie I could think of that had the Tanegashima. As it turned out, I clearly hadn't watched enough historical Japanese cinema. Oh well, Ran was clearly a "significant motion picture" anyway. If could afford it, I would get a console-compatible screen capture device and buy some more titles to fill out the red entries on the Tanegashima page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
I think starting a page with a single generic entry like "Matchlock Musket" or "Tanegashima" would be against the rules.

With generic classes of pre-standardisation firearms like this the weapon is not identifiable.
Well, the Tanegashima was pretty standardized for its time. The Japanese did not export the weapon either (it was a major military asset of theirs, first in intra-national conflict, and then again when it came time to invade Korea during the Imjin War), so it behooved the Japanese to keep it to themselves. From what I can tell, unlike their European and American counterparts, they stuck with the Tanegashima for a long time instead of fiddling with and improving the design or adopting new firearm technologies (such as wheellock and flintlock guns) until their 19th Century intra-national Boshin war, where they imported foreign firearms en masse, and then afterwards started copying foreign designs for their upcoming Imperialist endeavours.

And we already have pages for Wheellock and Matchlock guns right now, those being rather un-standardized. If more pages for works with Handgonnes come in, then what's one more firearm page compiling the appearances of "western" and "eastern" ones?

Last edited by Mazryonh; 03-04-2014 at 11:48 PM.