View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 03:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
Trust me that came to mind.. Difference is I think a woman (especially one like Gilly) could make a decent go at replicating Bond in some respects, while I don't think anybody - female or otherwise - could begin to in any way replicate what Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis and Hudson had. Fair point about starting something new, though - Why does it so often have to be within some existing framework or basis? Bah..
I see it as being totally the other way around. Changing the gender of Bond would be a fundamental change, as so much of his character and previous story lines is tied into him being a man. On the other hand, the gender of the Ghostbusters is largely irrelevant to the story for the most part. Put it this way, if you replace the Ghostbusters in the original film with women, you really don't have to do much rewriting. If you do the same with pretty much and Bond film, it falls apart.

Another point, Bond has to be able to physically fight Bond henchmen. I have no idea why people think a 5' 2" tall 50 year old women who in no way is regarded for their physicality is a good fit for an MI6 field agent who can beat pretty much any opponent in a fight.

I personally think that the way to go if they want a female version of bond would be to have her be in the next film as a fellow agent and then if well received spin her off into her own film. As for casting they would definitely go younger than Gillian Anderson, someone more like Emily Blunt would be more realistic. Or they could go even younger to invest more in a series and cast somebody like Alicia Vikander or Daisy Ridley. I would buy both of these actresses as being physically up to the job, as they will both be in shape from Tomb Raider and Star Wars respectively.