View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 06:37 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
It was one of the early ones with the heel release and the rounded trigger guard (found an old picture of shooting it along with our old Colt SP101). He purchased it from another officer who was also an FFL. I don't know where Chuck found it at. Both Chuck and dad are now gone so it will always remain a mystery. I shot it more often then the Colt Commander due to 9mm being more affordable. Perhaps it is because of my positive experience with the Taurus that I have always been fond of the Beretta 92FS. Back in my Army days guys would badmouth the Beretta constantly. I never had any heartburn with it. But I think it's the nature of soldiers to constantly bitch about their weapons no matter how good they are.
Dad was in the Air Force (military police) in the sixties and he heard many an airman griping about the 1911A1. It never changes.
Ah, OK, my old one actually had the flared trigger guard, but also the heel release. I think it was around 1985 that Taurus started making the PT92 and PT99 with the mag release on the trigger guard, so I figure that my pistol was made just before that time. My Grandfather, like your Dad, also purchased the gun from a friend, so I never knew when his friend bought it. My grandfather got it sometime in the early-90s, and it became mine in 2006 - then I sold it just 18 months later. And I regretted that decision so much that I had to get another.

The Beretta and Taurus will never be my favorite firearms (and I own one of each), in part because they're so gigantic and heavy for 9mm pistols that were originally designed for 15-shot mags, but I do think they're well-made, reliable, and fun to shoot. Not that I've ever been a serviceman, but I do wish the military had adopted an M9 which had a frame-mounted safety like the Taurus. It's the one thing that the Brazilians really nailed, and it should have been a no-brainer for the M9 program.