View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 PM

I'm still not clear on the details of the shooting myself, but from what I heard A: he wasn't wearing body armor, and B: he didn't use his Bushmaster, just his pistols. If that's the case, then (even though in hysteria it doesn't matter) calling for an AWB in the wake of this shooting is really unfounded.

No matter what weapon he used, I don't necessarily agree that someone is useless in this situation with a concealed handgun. Outgunned, definitely, but it's reasonable to say that you can make up with a lack of firepower with proper tactics. I'm not saying it's easy, just that it's conceivably doable, especially if the CCW has a reasonable amount of training/skill, and the shooter doesn't. Yes this is semantic, but it seems to be the case in most respects. It's also why I personally don't approve of all these micro carry guns, since they are light and great for carrying all the time but they offer very little in terms of firepower in the event of a mass shooting. Just as well, they're miles ahead of the other people in the vicinity without a gun of any kind. They have the option to engage the shooter to distract or even take them down with a proper shot, as opposed to being forced to run away with everyone else. I really try not to undermine or overestimate the weight one carries along with their concealed weapon, but it's a grey area, and it's certainly capable given the right parameters, more so than an empty hand.

The other thing is the idea that mass shooters tend to quit at the first sign of resistance, because, again, they usually lack skill as well as coherence in the situation to understand that they can outgun a single person wielding a pistol with their rifle or whatever they are using, and just like in any other gunfight, they have to take in all this information at 200 miles an hour, where the shots are coming from, how many shots and with what, and given they're in a mass shooting solely to go out with a bang, they can come to the conclusion that they are beat (thats why they were there in the first place), and so they off themselves even if rationally they may have been able to win said gunfight against said concealed weapon holder.

That's really the point I wanted to get across though, cause I really don't agree that CW holders are useless in mass shootings, especially if they are a prime example of a CW holder and consider all the factors before making a decision to bust or run. I agree that they are certainly outgunned and not as tactically prepared as a SWAT officer, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and being on scene or four minutes away means everything, and as long as they truly understand the weight they carry along with their gun and have proper mindset, they are an asset in the long run, especially compared to someone who is unarmed.

No, I don't think an AWB will do anything to prevent mass shootings, it will only serve to restrict law abiding gun owners. Yes, I am willing to negotiate on lets say background check reform, and I don't see it being too far fetched to ask that individuals take some sort of licensing course to own a gun, given the charge and time investment is appropriate and not ridiculously expensive or riddled with paperwork. Largely though, these incidents are caused by individuals making poor decisions and it's very hard to legislate against a mass of people due to individual bad decisions. Educating the public about firearms safety and use would ideally be the best course of action and leaving the choice of whether or not to carry the weight would be up to them, and they should have to suffer the consequences should they make a bad call. Mag capacity is also not correlative to any of these crimes either, especially since VTech, the most violent shooting happened with nothing but 10 round mags. Granted it reduces reloads, practically speaking, giving people the chance to rush the shooter but rarely do shooters get rushed and taken down anyway (the Arizona shooting is an exception). And again, a ban isn't going to delete weapons or mags or bullets from existence (even if it could, we shouldn't want to be stripped of our great equalizers anyway) and just as well, a CW with as many rounds on tap as possible is a pawn for a pawn in that situation.

Not as structured as I'd wanted it to be but I really needed an outlet for all my feelings on this shooting, and I really don't think that CWs holders are useless in a mass shooting. We always say guns are tools, and they are as evil as the person using them, and that means they are as good as the person using them too. The right for one to try and rein in that power and capability should be up to them.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 12-20-2012 at 08:28 PM.