View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
I think it is still a fun gun to own if you want to shoot magnum rounds without nursing your thumb webbing and wrist back to health and want a decent hunting handgun.

It's heavy, yes, but that kind of helps handle that massive recoil. The .50 AE is not necessarily an incredible round, but it is very powerful and it means something when you can actually fire the round with some control. Also, .357 Magnums and .44 Magnums are a breeze to shoot through one, according to what a few guys I know say.
Everyone I've talked to who owned a DE wound up getting rid of it. The impression I get from talking to enough people is that the novelty wears off pretty fast. There are a lot of guns that are fun to shoot, but after a while, their lack of practicality sets in. That's the issue with the Eagle - once you've had fun with it, what you're left with is a huge paper weight that has little practical use (even in hunting) and cost you a ridiculous amount of money. It's little "bang for the buck".

Also, there's a good reason why the handgun market turned away from Magnum-caliber, low-capacity pistols to lighter, high-capacity, smaller-caliber 9mms and .40-caliber pistols. So the fact that the DE can shoot Magnum cartridges at all (let alone with little recoil) winds up being kind of irrelevant.