Thread: Anti Gun movies
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 05:15 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I like the picture in our police office, shows a prisoner in a jump suit, crossing arms, and he is ripped. Muscles on his muscles. It says "Work out, everyday you don't he does."

Its true, why do they let violent criminals lift weights and get more scary and jacked? Have them play b ball or something that doesnt add 20 pounds of muscle while there in the joint.
I don't know much about prisons, but I'm pretty sure that inmates with behavior/disciplinary problems are usually denied weight-lifting privileges. The same applies to recreation privileges in general: The prison staff can take their stuff away if they act up. The whole purpose of allowing prisoners to have "luxuries" (whether it's weights, TV, computers, whatever) is to give them an incentive to behave, so that they won't attack the guards. Take that stuff away from them permanently, and what incentives do they have not to riot? On the contrary, I'd think that the boredom would just make them angry enough that they'd be more likely to become violent.

As far as weight-training making prisoners more "dangerous": It may be true to some extent, but I don't see how the inmates will ever be a match for guards who have access to high-tech weaponry, both lethal and non-lethal, regardless of their advantage in muscle mass.

Also, I might be talking completely out of my ass, but how common are prison riots and prison breaks in the U.S. compared to Third World prisons where the inmates get no luxuries, barely any food, and get tortured by the guards for misbehaving? Probably not as common, right? Don't you think there's a reason for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
there's a problem with just "keeping prisoners occupied" and giving them luxuries they should not have because they are in there for punishment not retirement.
Comparing prison to retirement is ludicrous. The "punishment" doesn't come from deprivation of recreation; it comes from the fact that they're separated from the rest of society, don't enjoy 99% of the same liberties as us non-convicts, and are in an environment where their well-being is often at risk (rape, beating, or even death) at the hands of other inmates.

Last edited by MT2008; 02-09-2011 at 05:36 AM.