Thread: My new gun
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 12:23 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I dont even use the p229 release, just pull and release slide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Yeah I rarely use the slide release either, I just started slingshotting (that's what I call yanking the slide to release it) and never stopped. On occasion I will use the release just so I know how it feels on the gun, but 99 percent of the time I slingshot.
Me three. In fact, I've always thought that engaging the slide release was going out of style. I've read posts on the 1911 message boards by older shooters (60s, 70s) who blame slide releases for causing arthritis in their thumbs after 50+ years of reloading their 1911s that way.

So I don't think the slide release is a big disadvantage for lefties. It shouldn't be a disadvantage for lefties on ANY semi-auto pistol, frankly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I don't see much reason for getting one over a full size P226, aside from the fact that it's a government acency's gun and the gun is rated for .357 SIG unlike the older counterparts. It's considered a "compact" gun but it's not much smaller than a full sized P226, i:e it's not much better for concealed carry.
I can give you a good one: Magazine capacity. My biggest beef with the .40 and .357 P226s is that they have the same mag capacity as the P229. Given that, I would much rather have the 229.

In 9mm (which is the caliber I shoot most often), it's 226 all the way. But if I ever wanted to upgrade to .40 or .357, I would definitely get the 229.