Thread: My First Pistol
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 06:37 PM

Make sure your range will let you wear a holster and keep your gun on your person in one, I've personally never been to one that allowed it.

Anyway, some considerations for a holster. First off, is the gun a P226 pre rail or an R version with a rail? It might make a difference when picking a holster.

You say this is for recreational use so OWB (outside the waist band/on the belt) would probably be best since it is more comfortable than IWB (inside the waist band) and concealment is not an issue.

You should also consider whether you want a leather, nylon or kydex holster. All have their benefits and detriments a bit too numerous for a simple response. Additionally, I'd recommend skipping one size fits all nylon holsters like Uncle Mikes atogether. While they are cheap, the money spent on them would be better served put toward a higher end holster fit specifically for the gun. I think 50 dollars give or take is a good amount to spend on a holster. At that price range you get a good return on the extra money spent in terms of features and quality.

Let me get the TACTICAL suggestions out of the way (all Kydex):

Blackhawk SERPA
5.11 Thumb Drive
Raven Concealment Systems Phantom
Blade Tech belt holster
Safariland ALS and other models with the rotating retention device
SIG Sauer has a proprietary holster with a locking system similar to the SERPAs as well if you want that kind of retention and you like a "matching" holster.

If you want a leather holster, take a look at the offerings by Bianchi and Galco (more expensive) or Don Hume and DeSantis (cheaper but still good quality). They're all big holster makers that still have reputations for quality.

From my own experience I'd recommend the Bianchi 7001 Accumold for basic stuff though. Thumb break retention is classic and sturdy, and it's relatively cheap for a good quality nylon holster that will form fit the gun. My friend kept his P226 in the paddle version, which wore sturdier than my belt slide version and lower cut for faster draws, but the paddle version is more expensive.

Look around locally to see what stores have in stock, but don't be afraid to buy one online and return it if you're not in love with it. Opticsplanet has just about every holster at a reasonable price and free shipping, and Amazon has some as well, and they have good customer service.

Lot of text, I know, but shopping for holsters can be a pain in the ass and I just wanted to pass on some significant points I've collected from my research on the subject. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 07-08-2012 at 06:39 PM.