View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'm reading up on it and I'm amazed how many people go with the "CoD is jingoistic Americans shootan" angle, to the point I wonder if they every paid attention in any CoD game they might have played.

IW seem to have designed the original CoD as a response to "Americans in other people's history" in Medal of Honor, where even in the Russian levels in Spearhead you're somehow still an American. If you actually look at the original CoD, the American campaign is the smallest scale; the most major thing is Brecourt Manor, while the Soviets get Stalingrad and Berlin and the British get ridiculously daring raids and a solo attack on a battleship.

It even carries over to Modern Warfare where generally the US characters achieve the least and the things they do achieve have the least effect on the overall plot. The US campaign in CoD 4 is a rushed, confused action that ultimately causes every single bad thing that happens in the rest of the series, the only thing an American player character in MW2 achieves that has effects outside the US causes everything bad that happens in MW2 and 3, and Frost in 3 fails at the only real job he's given to do with effects outside the US (rescuing the Russian president's daughter) and leaves the British / Russian team to pick up the pieces.

Um...Hooray?