Thread: Sig p227
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I remember when I saw the Glock 30S and rolled my eyes on how that is also a dumb concept because it is barely the same size as the G30. The big companies really are not taking any chances with new designs.
The Glock 30S is different from the P227 in that it's still a reasonable product improvement over the Glock 30, and it's nomenclature does not insist that it is a separate design from it's predecessor when it's a minor change like the P227. The .45 ACP Glocks have always been chunky messes and given the market's demand for the ever smaller, lighter subcompact, the mating of a Glock 36 slide to a Glock 30SF frame makes perfect sense. There's no R&D there, but there was for both the 36 and the SF. So, even though it's functionally the exact same gun as the Glock 30, the S conforms to a new market demand as best it can given it's physical size constraints. And given it's capacity is 10 rounds for a subcompact (the SAME as a P227 with flush mags), it's not falling short in any practical categories. The P227 insists it's a new product that fills the niche it's intended to, when it doesn't do that as well as other models, whereas the Glock 30S is meant to be a product improvement or a mating of PIs in the Glock 30 line, which it totally is.

I can't think of any gun that can boast the Glock 30's capabilities and retain it's weight and form factor, no one even wants to try. And yet they still do the little extra they can to make it what it, admittedly, ought to have been in the first place. The only thing I can fault Glock for is not aiming as high with their end goal with their newest product, but they certainly reached their goal nonetheless. I can't say the same for the P227. They aimed to put out a product in the niche and what they have put out is a thrown together adequacy, if that. And in the end, it's a product improvement of the P220 with a different name entirely. Good for them, they're in the high capacity .45 market now, and their name will assuredly sell the product, but it's still not a great example of the niche. The Glock 30S is.