View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
The XM8 was basically just a last-ditch attempt to get SOMETHING out of the XM29/OICW program.
I'd imagine it was meant to save a few careers as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I've never had a jam firing live rounds with my C7. Blanks when in training, yes, but they're filthy and you tend to shoot alot more of them than live rounds. Interestingly, I've found the best thing for keeping it running in Afghanistan is the cans of compressed air they issue for cleaning your computer. Blows the moon dust right out of it.

I wonder if the cooking off problems had something to do with the lighter barrel on the M4 vice the M16A2 / A4. When we first got into serious fighting in Kandahar, people were finding that the barrels on the C8 / C8A1 heated up too fast (14.5" A1 profile). That's why they went to the extra heavy 16" on the A2. Of course the M4 has a heavier barrel than the original C8 and I've not heard any complaints about them since.
I've read comments on firearms blogs about the C7/C8 allegedly proving more reliable than the M16/M4. If that's true, it makes me wonder what you guys are putting in those things and why the heck we aren't doing the same thing down here...

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman