View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
I don't know why. The M4 and M16A4 are great weapons. And no, they don't jam that often.
I was with the 10th Mountain Division in the spring of 1998 when we were assigned the M4 carbines. They were brand new. We actually recieved them still in the packaging. It was the only time in fourteen years of serving in the U.S. Army that I was issued a brand-new weapon. I was very excited.

We didn't have any issues with the M4's failing to feed - no more so than with any other semi-automatic rifle. But we did have issues with rounds "cooking-off" while in the chamber. This usually happened after a soldier had fired two or three 30 round magazines through the weapon and it was hot. We had a few carbines fire off the chambered round even though the soldier did not have his or her finger on the trigger. At least this was what the troops were reporting.

This happened when we were at the range getting familiarized with our brand new carbines. Also some of the troops thought the heat waves coming off the shorter barrels interefered with the sight picture.

I didn't have any trouble and I never heard if there was any resolution to the cooking off of rounds.