View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 07:58 AM

You sound like my buddy Mik. I've been dealt a bad hand when it comes to 1911s, though I completely agree that they are, all things considered, the best handguns ever made. The thing is a Series 70 will run you over a thousand, new or original, and if you put down that much money for a gun, especially a high end 1911, you're not ever gonna want to get it dirty. I wouldn't, for fear of the dreaded moron mark that may fall upon it after cleaning. That's why all the wondernines and DA weapons have taken center stage, cause they're cheaper, they perform well enough, and no one's gonna really care if you get some wear on it. Maybe you can afford it, but I sure can't. Also, you're right about the ammo thing, but if you can take down what you have to take down in one shot, you have 15 or 16 instead of 7 or 8, so higher capacity is always a plus. Para grips are a bit too big for me as well, but they are great guns.

If I had to choose a 1911 though, I'd get one of the Cotl made 70s in Electroless Nickel. That or a Springfield GI in Stainless Steel, which I could tune myself to whatever specs I desire, for about half to three quarters of the price. I own a Springfield GI Parkerized, and with the S&Ws flawless Stainless Steel, and the wear the Parking endured, I've learned that a finish is a very serious consideration, which is why prefer Stainless or Electroless Nickel.