View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 02:15 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I'm not sure. But let's leave aside the question of whether gun registration would lead to gun bans: Is it really such a bad thing to require guns to be registered from a purely moral standpoint? We have laws requiring registration of many, many things that are potentially deadly in the wrong hands (such as cars). Assuming we could guarantee that registration did not lead to a ban, it would be a good way to ensure that fewer weapons are reaching the hands of those who should not own them, no?
That sir, is the million dollar question isn't? What guarantee would there be? Some states have registration, but doesn't stop guns from being stolen does it? If one of your guns is stolen, you would report it to the police, registered or not. Registration would only stop you from doing a private sale to someone that could potentially not be legal to own it.

Quote:
(And again, nobody is arguing that a guy with an AK-47 is guaranteed to kill lots of people, just as it would be fallacious to argue that it's impossible to kill lots of people with a Remington Model 750. I am merely arguing that this scenario is more likely with an AK.)
Yes it's more likely in this day and age. (Though the AR seems to be favored more lately, better availability?)

Quote:
I was really embarrassed by LaPierre's speech and I do not regard him as someone who speaks for me.
(Movies and video games.) I don't believe in playing the blame game either. (Though the media doesn't mind doing it.) LaPierre was in a tough position and had to try to focus the blame elsewhere.