View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 04:38 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
M16/AR-15 series rifles - TOO MANY VARIATIONS. Unless you have clear, unfettered shots of the gun you're trying to ID, I'm about 95% wrong. Actually, more like 97%, once you factor in the Canadian models. "Oh, that's an M4A1! No? A Diemaco C7? ****."
I don't mean to confuse you even more...but there are no Diemaco C7 rifles in any movies or TV shows. Diemaco/Colt Canada doesn't sell its rifles to anyone outside of military/LE, including film armorers. A Canadian armorer actually told me this.

The rifles that we've been identifying on IMFDB as "C7s" are actually pre-1994 Olympic Arms K4B rifles, which have the same type of receiver as the C7, but are different manufacture. The way I figured it out is because they all seem to have the OA "Stowaway' pistol grip; one of the armories in British Columbia owns them and sends them out to lots of shows.

Some day, I'm gonna have to change the M16 page, and all the movie/TV pages where we've called the guns "C7s", to reflect this new understanding. I may even have to ditch the C7 section completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Mostly modern stuff, espescially S&W autos and non-military AR variants. Oh, and the different variants of MP5. Just never really cared.
Eh, that's alright, I think we have more than enough people who know the modern stuff. I think it's really important that we have more people who can distinguish between different manufacturers of older weapons. I can tell apart most AKs of different manufacture, for example, but I'd be hard-pressed to tell the differences between the various Mauser copies that are out there.

Last edited by MT2008; 02-10-2010 at 04:44 PM.