View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I hate the people who falsely claim to be small arms experts too. I usually know much, much more than them about guns and I am by no means any sort of expert
I know of one guy who writes for a couple publications and outside of a 25 yard range I don't think he's ever used a firearm. I first heard about the guy when someone who admits to having only shooting a firearm once in their life tried to argue that the 5.56X45mm round was short ranged and that the 7.62X51mm NATO round was uncontrolable in Full Auto. Now I have seen a 5.56/.223 rifle shoot out past 600 yards. Heck there is a man who has used a .223 AR-15 varient to put twenty rounds in a twenty inch circle in twenty seconds at a range of 1,000 yards. The man chose the cartridge because it had low enough recoil that the weapon wouldn't be moved off target.

As for the 7.62 NATO round I have friends who use such rifles at Class 3 competitions. In addition I have friends who have used such rifles in more "political" situations and when under 100 yards such weapons can be used to shred entire squads who have made the mistake of bunching up at the bottom of hills. Unfortunatly most armies don't properly train their troops to really use the weapons they are given.