Thread: Ban? or no Ban?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 04:38 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
OMG!!! I just realized what you wrote. Argentinians refer to that war as "The South Atlantic War", whereas Great Britain (and American BTW) call it "The Falklands War" (of 1982).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falklands_War
I KNEW you were from Argentina, but it never clicked until now.

That was a fascinating conflict, in that both sides were pretty evenly matched as far as technology, weapons, and the like. Sorry to say (for the Argentinians) that the British training and battlefield doctrine was far superior. What I found fascinating was that even the British military noted the 'courage' of the Argentinian military forces, even though they were doomed in the conflict (especially their pilots).

I know a few BRITISH Falklands War vets and they have some very interesting stories. I don't know any Argentinian vets from the same conflict, though.

Sorry for the digression.
Interesting war if the US did not have their fingers in it the outcome might have been different. US sold Argentina A4 Skyhawks with no bomb sights and then gave the British the latest AIM-9 Sidewinders. The US also delayed the sale of IAI Nesher form Israel to Argentina due to the fact that it used a J79 engine. Sorry for the digression again on this topic.

Good deal on the banning of moviemaster1993. We don't need that kind of problem.