View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 12:23 AM

Well when k9870 says "action" he means trigger type and not so much the way the gun works or reloads itself. The squeeze cocker is sort of a striker design.

I'm not a fan of DAO triggers for reasons previously stated. I also for the most part agree with k9870s list, though it's more of a draw between SAO and DA/SA. It generally depends on whether you like an initial double action shot without any levers to disengage or whether you like your gun ready to go with a lever keeping it safe from firing from forces other than yourself, as well as no trigger pull difference when firing. It's a tradeoff where both systems have their benefits and drawbacks but it comes down to preference.

As far as revolvers go, it goes DA/SA, DAO, then SAO.

DA/SAs come up top because they give you the option of firing fully semiautomatic, or in a single shot fashion for more precise shots. Most revolvers from the major manufactures have pretty good DA/SA trigger setups too, and if they don't, a trigger job is not hard to have done.

DAO revolvers are better than DAO automatics as DA/SA revolvers are usually used in DA mode, and again, a trigger job can give you a good DAO pull, but you lose the option of SA for precise shots with a short length of pull. This trigger mode is usually just seen on small frame carry type revolvers where a precise shot isn't necessary, so it's not as significant a loss as it is on full size duty pistols.

SAOs are generally harder to load and harder to fire accurately in rapid succession. They were state of the art over 100 years ago, but today they're exhibition guns and not much more.

My preference for revolvers is DA/SA, but for automatics I'm on the edge. I've got a DA/SA and a SAO and I can't honestly tell you what I'd prefer for carry or combat or whatever. I'd probably lean toward a SA cause a safety is kinda nice to have, and I'm not really a fan of double action triggers on handguns, even with DA/SA guns. That might just be cause my 5906 trigger isn't great, but I'd need to try some other guns before I come to a conclusion.