View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Yes, I do agree that reload time is important, but when you see a guy shooting in a crowd with 10 rounders and stops to reload, I'm not going to try to be a hero and jump him before he changes magazines. I don't seriously think it matters with the law as you pointed out that you can get pre ban magazine at any time. Of course physical difference between 30 round mags and 3 10 rounds aside, you still have 30 rounds you can expend at anyone and anything, reload and all. Most people aren't the hero type, you will duck and cover when you see a guy shooting near you, and if he is going on a shooting spree, he will either legally or illegally obtain a higher capacity magazine anyway.
I think the logic is more that people might be able to run away. And if you're in a place with corners and rooms to lock yourself in (i.e. the interior of a school), the delays caused by reloads are substantial. The delays mean that the shooter will likely be unable to get off nearly as many rounds, and therefore, shoot as many people before they escape.

Then there's the matter of a guy with an AK going up against a cop who has a 9mm or .40 S&W handgun that holds 15 rounds. I used to read posts on LE message boards all the time, and I haven't seen a single cop on any of them who likes the idea of shooting it out with a gunman carrying an AK or an AR-15 when his service pistol is all he has. And please note that I hear that from cops who are both pro- and anti-gun.

Also, this is related to AKs, specifically, but...I've told you before I own an AK, right (you can see the picture of my gun on my IMFDB profile)? I own four 30-round mags and a single 10-rounder which I had to buy because the assholes at the range where my Dad and I used to go (back home) didn't allow anything over 10 rounds for rifles. Anyway, when you load an AK mag, you have to "hook" it into place. This is extremely easy and natural to do with a 30-rounder. With a 10-rounder, the motion isn't as smooth, due to the shorter length of the mag, because it's harder to grip it properly. So I can tell you from my own personal experience - reloads are a lot slower with those mags. Again, that applies only to AK mags, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Last edited by MT2008; 02-10-2009 at 11:39 PM.