View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 12:16 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post

But reload time is quite important. If there was no difference between a 30-round mag and three 10-round mags, then why would anyone have invented 30-round magazines in the first place. It's even more obvious when you start talking about 75, 100-round drums. When Patrick Purdy shot up that school in Stockton (in 1989, which led to Bush Sr.'s import ban on AKs, H&Ks, etc.), he used 75-round drums in his AK and he fired over 100 rounds in 2 minutes. He only had to reload once to do that. With 10-round "post-ban" magazines, he would have had to reload 10 times. That seems like a pretty substantial difference.
Yes, I do agree that reload time is important, but when you see a guy shooting in a crowd with 10 rounders and stops to reload, I'm not going to try to be a hero and jump him before he changes magazines. I don't seriously think it matters with the law as you pointed out that you can get pre ban magazine at any time. Of course physical difference between 30 round mags and 3 10 rounds aside, you still have 30 rounds you can expend at anyone and anything, reload and all. Most people aren't the hero type, you will duck and cover when you see a guy shooting near you, and if he is going on a shooting spree, he will either legally or illegally obtain a higher capacity magazine anyway.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”