View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 03:17 AM

If it's between the G17 and the Sigma, I choose the Glock everytime. I own a 3rd generation Glock 17 and I'm liking it more and more. It's my competition shooting pistol.
Pros:
super reliable, low maintenance, relatively accurate (provided you aren't bothered by the grip angle), easy to operate, easy to field strip, tons of parts/accessories that are easy to come by.

Cons:
the grip angle bothers a lot of people so try it out and see if it suits you, pretty bland pistol (i don't want to say ugly b/c i honestly sort of like the simple look to it but it's def no 1911 in the looks department),

All in all the Glock is a great gun, not the best, but great none the less. There are tons of other alternatives too but it really depends on a few criteria. Answer yourselves these questions.

1. Price Range?
2. What do you want the main purpose of the gun to be?
3. Do you want polymer or steel?
4. Do you prefer SA (single action), DAO (double action only), DA/SA (double action/single action), or one of the many other variants of triggers (DAK, LEM, Etc...)
5. Autoloader or Revolver? (sounds like you've decided on a autoloader)

Sigs, HK's, and 1911's are great but tend to cost a bit more. For cheaper Springfield XD's, Smith and Wesson M&P's, and Beretta PX4 Storm's are generally a bit cheaper but still a great buy. CZ's are a good choice and they have a huge following of fans.

Whatever you decide to get I highly suggest that you go through a firearm safety course so you get familar with gun safety. Too many people think they don't need to take a class but these are the people who give gun owners a bad name and are downright dangerous when it comes to handling guns. Welcome to the gun world, better get another job because it becomes a very expensive hobby.