View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 02:52 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
A Colt AR-15 carbine from 1977. It's old, like me, but it still works and a Remington 870. most of the time when I think it might be time for the long-guns to be deployed I go with the Remington. I'm usually the only guy with the shotgun. I get teased by the younger officers, but the shotgun is a powerful psychological tool (big bore and that great racking sound) and it can be useful on locks and door hinges. I've shot up doors a few times at our range and it really does work like they show in the movies. I carry both 00 buck and slugs.
Wow an old slab slide, way cool. You should post a pic of it if you're allowed to. If your 870 has wood furniture, that would be the icing on the cake. I have a 653 clone (fixed carry handle, 16" lw barrel) I prefer the way it handles and shoots over my M4gery with all the tac stuff. Simple is better sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
The sheriff department carried the Ruger Mini-14 up until a few years ago then they went to the M4 carbine. Yes that's right the M4 carbine with the 3 round round burst setting. Traditionally sheriff department's have more money than city departments - more of a tax base to rely on. Incidentally even though police departments can buy and carry full-auto weapons here in the United States we still have to pay the Federal tax on them. I had one of the local ATF agents tell me that. So it can get pretty expensive.

If we want a rifle we have to provide our own. The deputies are issued their rifles. *Sigh*..
Yeah our sheriff's department is way too big. (We've done building drawings for them in that past, so I really shouldn't complain.) There was an article a few years back when they got new ARs. They weren't full auto or anything. I can't remember the maker I think it was Del-ton or something. There was bid between several makers. The deputies were required to go through a training course and had to pass before being issued one. Which I thought was good policy. I think our police department still has just shotguns.

Last edited by predator20; 11-17-2012 at 03:57 PM.