View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

A Colt AR-15 carbine from 1977. It's old, like me, but it still works and a Remington 870. most of the time when I think it might be time for the long-guns to be deployed I go with the Remington. I'm usually the only guy with the shotgun. I get teased by the younger officers, but the shotgun is a powerful psychological tool (big bore and that great racking sound) and it can be useful on locks and door hinges. I've shot up doors a few times at our range and it really does work like they show in the movies. I carry both 00 buck and slugs.

The sheriff department carried the Ruger Mini-14 up until a few years ago then they went to the M4 carbine. Yes that's right the M4 carbine with the 3 round round burst setting. Traditionally sheriff department's have more money than city departments - more of a tax base to rely on. Incidentally even though police departments can buy and carry full-auto weapons here in the United States we still have to pay the Federal tax on them. I had one of the local ATF agents tell me that. So it can get pretty expensive.

If we want a rifle we have to provide our own. The deputies are issued their rifles. *Sigh*.

I carry a Glock 19 and my backup is the S&W Model 49 Bodyguard. I also am authorized to carry my Glock 26 as a backup and off-duty gun. My department authorizes either the Glock 21 or the Glock 19. I went with the G19 becasue I have small(ish) hands and I didn't like the big blocky grip of the G21. Now we've got the new Gen4 G21's and as a firearms instructer I was given the option of taking one of the first ones to come in. But I've been carrying my G19 for almost seven years now (it was brand new when I got it) and I like it. So I'm sticking with the whimpy 9mm.

Last edited by Jcordell; 11-16-2012 at 11:26 PM.