View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 03:27 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
However, revolvers have not changed their role since they were introduced, that being very short-range defense, and in a pinch, offense at that range. Submachine guns have changed from being very mobile support weapons for slower-firing battle rifles in WWII, to being relegated to police or special forces work in modern times due to the rise of body armour and assault rifles amongst modern militaries. The PDW in this sense is supposed to update the submachine concept by virtue of its new rounds, and would fulfill that CQB role now more effectively against targets wearing body armour proof against pistol rounds.
The key word here is update the submachine gun concept. "Updating" does not mean some fundamental re-definition of the role. The P90 and its ilk were meant to fulfill the exact same role as 9mm submachine guns (close-quarters battle), except with an improvement in capabilities. This is, as I have argued repeatedly, not an ability that is worthy of constituting an entire new class of firearms. Especially since PDWs haven't caught on with either law enforcement or military. And that's why I don't want them to have a new category unto themselves.

Also, a discussion of how SMGs' role has changed since WWII is completely irrelevant to the SMG/PDW distinction. I have no idea what the hell you're on about.

Quote:
I don't see what you meant when you said that I "bought into the hype."
It's simple: Manufacturers have promoted the PDW as some revolutionary new class of firearms that are so innovative that they don't deserve to be called mere "submachine guns". You seem to agree.

And please do not give me another response where you quote all sorts of ballistic info and stuff. I'm getting a little tired of hearing it. It's not relevant.

Quote:
I was under the impression that we might introduce "privilege levels" for users on the wiki. For example, the forum currently distinguishes between "Senior," "Junior," and other levels of members right now, but doesn't award differing levels of posting privileges. A site like GameFAQs does, however--users gain "Karma" points by posting or contributing within the rules, and gain a bigger post limit the more karma points they accrue. A similar system governing the number of edits or picture contributions could help to cut the unwanted "noise" by unscrupulous users, such as limiting the amount of edits to pages they can make, followed by (temporary) revocation of such privileges if they prove undeserving.
Wow, you do love to make life complicated, don't you? Bro, we're not GameFAQs; we're a Wiki (and they're not, last I checked).

Quote:
In any case, I'd like a verdict soon on this.
It's simple: The PDW category is going. End of discussion.