View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 04:04 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
Sorry, I forgot Americans don't tend to throw that word around quite as much as we do over here.
I used to be a study abroad student over there, so I knew what you meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
I did it with the XM8 Compact (HK says it's a PDW) and the discussion made me realise the only thing having "PDW" around is good for is confusing people.
I agree. My preference is that we not have a PDW category for this reason. Mazryonh, while I appreciate the thought you put into what defines a PDW, I am still reluctant to include this category. We're over-categorizing enough as-is, and regardless of what criteria you use to define PDWs, the fact is that it's unnecessary because it applies to only a select few firearms which differ from traditional submachine guns in (essentially) minor ways. OK, so they fire ammunition that differs from a traditional SMG - arguing that they deserve an entirely new category for this reason is like saying that the G11 doesn't deserve to be labeled as an "assault rifle" because it fires caseless ammo (maybe it's an "Advanced Combat Rifle"?)

BTW, the fact that people are already using the PDW category on pages for weapons like the HK33 and L85 (which have compact variants) demonstrates their poor grasp of the PDW definition.

Last edited by MT2008; 07-10-2011 at 04:15 PM.