Thread: Mini-14s!
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
A buddy of mine mentioned that. Are they? Only Ruger makes the Mini-14, but you have dozens of companies making AR-15s. That has to drive the price down.
Our sheriff had the Mini-14 for many years for the deputies on patrol. The county SWAT had H&K MP-5 smg's and M-16A1 rifles. A few years ago the deputies got AR-15 carbines semi-autos (not sure of make) and the SWAT upgraded to the H&K UMP (9mm) and also went to the selective fire AR-15 carbine instead of the full size M-16.

My agency authorizes the AR-15 carbine for patrol and detectives (semi-auto) and issues AR-15 carbines (semi-auto) with all the bells and whistles to the SWAT members. I carry a Remington 870 instead of a rifle. I like the shotgun and don't want to spend the money to buy a rifle. Besides the "old-fashioned" shotgun still has it's place and compliments the rifles carried by the other officers on my patrol team.

Much about what officers will carry has to do with politics and how it will be percieved. Here in Idaho it isn't such a big deal.

Last edited by Jcordell; 12-04-2015 at 03:11 PM.