View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 01:24 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
The only reason anyone thinks of buying an AR is for SHTF, and I know that my mags take the same magazines as the military and police rifles, so ammo is heavily available. With an AK you have to have your own stuff, or take some time to find them and load them if there's ammo. The gun is fairly light too, and the interface is quick and easy to operate, and the sights are a little better. If it comes down to it, and I'm not saying it will, but it might, it's a good home defense tool.
With all due respect, it's kind of a ridiculous idea to think you can plan for an SHTF scenario. If you're really serious about it, guns are the last thing you need to worry about. Start by training yourself to live in the wilderness with no access to the Internet, grocery stores, or medical care. And try starving yourself for a few days at a time and see if you can handle it. I'm also of the opinion that the whole "lone survivalist" scenario is a pipedream. Humans survive best in gangs and tribes, and if SHTF, I would much rather be in a large organized militia than on my own. It isn't because I'm not a "rugged individualist" or whatever; it's because human beings really are better off in groups.

And if that's really your plan, then you'd be better off getting ahold of a weapon that fires 7.62x39mm ammunition. Even though 5.56x45mm is what the military uses, it's very difficult to raid government armories, and taking captured weapons from the battlefield won't ensure a constant supply of ammo. There's almost no insurgency in the world that can fight a campaign using captured weapons alone. Chances are, you'd need to start importing weapons and ammo (and I imagine plenty of international arms dealers would be happy to sell to American militias if it meant profit), and that means you're going to find AKs and 7.62x39mm are going to be what you have to use by necessity, simply because that's what most readily available on the black market no matter where you are in the world.

Maybe if you tried an AR-15 that fires 7.62x39mm ammo (plenty of manufacturers have built such weapons), that would be the best bet.

Last edited by MT2008; 03-14-2009 at 01:31 AM.