View Single Post
Old 06-26-2016, 03:21 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

With my agency (65 officers - city police department) we are issued the Glock 21 - except for those of us who were already employed before we went over to a general issue in 2006. For those who were not comfortable with the large framed Glock 21 the Glock 19 was offered as an alternative. I went with the Glock 19. I don't have large hands and the Glock 19 is just easier to carry on the hip throughout a twelve hour shift. I actually like the 9mm Parabellum and I trust it. In case you're curious I carry the Federal 124 grain +P HST load. For those officers hired after October 2006 and just haven't warmed up to the G21 they can carry the Glock 30 as a substitute. It accepts the Glock 21 magazines and since Glock came out with the Gen 4 frame the 30 is actually a fairly compact pistol. The only officers carrying the G30 currently are the ones assigned to detectives, narcotics and a couple plain clothes task forces. Uniformed officers carry the G21. We have had a couple female officers request permission to switch to the Glock 19 and they have been issued the G19 after their formal requests were reviewed and approved. But they had to go through the field training phase and the academy with the G21 first. Don't ask me why. The 40 caliber isn't very popular and it beats up the Glock frame.

Last edited by Jcordell; 06-26-2016 at 03:23 PM.