View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 02:21 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
I haven't seen it, but I assume that decocking the gun in this case is important to the plot or to the flow of the scene, as opposed to having the hammer cocked on a single action contributes nothing with the exception of a tiny bit of realism that probably less than 1% will notice or care about. To me I see a decocked SA pistol as a goof rather than a suggestion that someone is intentionally carrying in condition 2. Similarly to how I assume it is a goof if someone fires 18 round out of a P226 rather than assuming they are using a Mec-Gar flush fit extended mag or something.

Using the decocker is pretty rare though but dropping the hammer with you thumb appears quite a lot, I guess because to the general audience decocked equals safe. I have seen a few things where people use a decocker properly on a gun though, a P226 in Jormungand and P99s in a few Bond films are the only thing that I can immediately think of but am sure there are others.
The guy with the P226 decocked right before surrendering his pistol. Since it was in his left hand, he had to move this thumb to the left, which looked a bit awkward. I'm guessing lefties would be more likely to use the thumb and trigger method.

I've never used the decocker on a SIG-Sauer, is it safe to just flick it with your thumb? With my P38, I read someplace that you were supposed to hold the hammer back with your right thumb while flicking the safety/decocker with your left hand. I'm not sure if that's for all pistols with decockers or just the P38 because it's old.