View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia View Post
You should read a article wrote by David Grann entitled "Trial by fire" that first appeared in the new yorker. Mistakes happen and just because a fancy talker can confince 12 people a man is guilty doesnt always make that man guilty...It might seem that we have a endless appeal system but that is for a reason. Sometimes "credible witnesses" are just people with their own agendas.
Did Grann mention how much it costs taxpayers to put criminals through all of their various appeals at each level of the judiciary? I'm trying to find it, but I know I remember reading somewhere that it's a lot of money. This is, I believe, a big part of the reason that we don't execute more convicted killers in the U.S. (even though we still execute a shitload of people relative to most of the Western world).

EDIT: It turns out that the death penalty is actually cheaper than keeping a person in prison for life without parole, so I guess I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Agreed. There is such a thing as overkill. You don't have to be a psycopathic violent offender to not be able to own a gun. I know a guy who can no longer own a gun because he slapped his wife to stop her from beating (like kicking him in the ribs after smashing his head into the wall and him falling on the floor) their son. Does he deserve to die? No
I have a friend whose ex-boyfriend has PTSD (he did two tours Cav in Iraq), and he's prone to all sorts of paranoid fits and temper tantrums. She broke up with him, and at one point, he texted her and threatened to shoot her. Later (after his parents intervened), he finally apologized to her, and now he's in therapy. Personally, I don't want this dude to have guns given his current mental state, but I also don't think he needs to be imprisoned just because I don't trust him with weapons.

Last edited by MT2008; 11-22-2010 at 07:14 PM.