View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 02:27 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Also, I almost forgot to mention that I wrote a note about this on the Micro Uzi section of the Uzi page. Here's what I wrote:

Quote:
The semi-automatic civilian version of the Micro Uzi was imported and sold in the United States by Action Arms (the same company which imported the Uzi Carbine) as simply the Uzi Pistol. Visually, the most obvious difference between the two versions is that the Uzi Pistol lacks the side-folding stock seen on the full-auto mil-spec Micro Uzi.

In American action films, most of the "Micro Uzis" are actually semi-automatic Uzi Pistols that have been converted to full-automatic fire by the prop houses' armories, hence the reason they lack the stock. However, IMFDB still refers to them as Micro Uzis, even though this was not the importer's designation.
It was the best I could do to clear up the confusion. Also, I stand by what I said in this paragraph: As best I know, it was only Action Arms who called their civilian Micro Uzis "Uzi Pistols". If you were to find semi-auto Micro Uzis in other countries, they might still be called "Micro Uzi", for all I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
They're not really "mocked up" if they're just converted to automatic fire. An M16A2 converted to full auto is not mocked up as an M16A3. Compare to HK94's with chopped down barrels or M2HB's dressed up as DShK's. "Micro Uzi (converted to full auto)" or something similar would be appropriate though. An Uzi Pistol modified with a folding stock could be considered mocked up as a Micro Uzi.
You'll always be able to find exceptions to the rule, but in the case of the M16A2, we dealt with the issue by explaining that "M16A2s" in Hollywood are almost always A2 uppers on A1 lowers. Sometimes, it's just a matter of convenience, because we have to deal with the fact that movie guns are frequently different from mil-spec weapons.

I do think that maybe saying "Uzi Pistol (converted to full-auto)" would work, assuming we want to use Action Arms' name for them.